How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mina Counsel Your Own Question
Mina Counsel
Mina Counsel, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 812
Experience:  Barrister
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Mina Counsel is online now

I’m getting divorced and my ex is buying me out of our

Customer Question

I’m getting divorced and my ex is buying me out of our house. I’ve been told that as soon as the title deeds are transferred to him I have to be out of the house (by tsb) but my new house isn’t going to be ready until the end of jan due to Covid delays. This effectively means I will be homeless until I can get in my house. Can that happen?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Southampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I spoke to the housing company who have tried to help me get a rented place about they can’t. Don’t really know what to do now
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Mina Counsel replied 18 days ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am a London based practising barrister with over 15 years experience. I am happy to assist you today. I may need to ask you some questions in order to determine your legal position and I will provide you with an email advice on the same day. Thank you.

There will be an automatic generated phone call offer should you wish to speak to me directly for a fixed fee with no time limit.

(Please note this is NOT always an instant chat service therefore I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you the same day. / within 24 hours if it's outside office hours.)

Expert:  Mina Counsel replied 18 days ago.

Good evening, legally speaking, you need to vacate the property when you exchange your agreement otherwise you could be liable for his financial loss.

Have you tried to explain the situation and get them to agree to a later date?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It all depends on when the decree absolute comes through, it’ll all be settled then. We’ve had the decree nisi.
Expert:  Mina Counsel replied 18 days ago.

The finalisation of the divorce does not directly affect the date you have to vacate the property tho, unless it is ordered by the court?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
But the divorce brings about the settlement doesn’t it? And part of the settlement is him buying me out...?
Expert:  Mina Counsel replied 18 days ago.

You get to decide when to transfer the title, it does have to match with the decree absolute.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok I’ll run that by my ex. Thank you
Expert:  Mina Counsel replied 18 days ago.

You are welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.