How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2213
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

In 2018 I have my daughter and I was told to claim benefits

Customer Question

in 2018 I have my daughter and I was told to claim benefits not one of the organisations I was working with told me or advised me I should be claiming child tax credits aswell even when I called citizens advice about debts and they asked what what benefits I was on. I did not receive child tax credit for my daughter for a whole year. So I was living with me daughter on just my income support for a whole year I kept asking how was I mwnt to survive with just that about a month and no one advised me otherwise. I became into a lot of debt juggling paying each bill every other month. It was only when I had my son in 2019 that I was told to apply for universal credit and its then I started receiving child tax credit for both children. So due to the incorrect information and lack of support I was not granted the benefit I was ment to. Meaning I was deprived of money I should of been getting. Is there anyways I can sue any of these people who did not give me the right information or even get back what I am owed ?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I went to the job centre few months ago n they tried to back date it but it would only be by 2 months if I was correct and they denied it
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: England
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that is all thanks
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will wait
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your patience and your enquiry.

Sorry to hear what has happened. It is deeply frustrating when you have been seeking guidance and no one has pointed out your entitlement to you.

I will admit from the outset that this is a very tricky area. I am not aware of any case law where someone has taken the government to court and have been able to successful challenge the fact that due to their negligence they were unable to claim benefits for some time. I have done some reading on the area, and I have seen where the Tax Credit Act does allow for a review of your entitlement to be made where as a result of the negligence of someone you did not receive the full benefit you were entitled to.

there does not however seem to be an automatic route to getting this award and you may ultimately have to make a complaint to the DWP or alternatively bring legal action against them.

If you opt to go via the route of a complaint, you will need to contact the DWP and ask for their complaints resolution department. Once you receive this, make a written complaint about what has happened.highlighting in particular their failure to point out your entitlement notwithstanding having asked on several occasions for the information. If after having complained you have not received a response or the response received is not favourable you may escalate to the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman. Here are their details. You. It’s however first exhaust all internal complaints procedure before escalating to the Ombudsman.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you this has helped a big deal
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. Happy I was able to help!