F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My job is at risk & I'm trying to find out how much

Customer Question

Hi, my job is at risk & I'm trying to find out how much maintenance I will need to pay if made redundant.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Currently I pay £1000 per month
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: dont ned to go to court or need a magistrate Should I contact the CSA ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thanks
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I will hopefully receive a redundancy pay out. Which I will need to live off whilst searching for a new job. Is there a calculation to determine how much of any pay out I need to give to my x partner ? I have 2 children
Expert:  F E Smith replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

who decided that you should pay £1k per month?

and if you are made redundant what do you expect to pay?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi, the £1000 per month is based on my Salary of £100,000 per year. There is a government website (gov help) which calculated what I should pay. The CSA also came up with this figure. I expect this to drop substantially if I lose my job. Any lump sum pay-out is needed to pay off debts & mortgage etc. Trying to work out what I would need to pay, If I had say £50,000 left in my account ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 21 days ago.

You would still need to pay at the CMS rates which are here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/672432/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf

Do read the whole document but the basic rates start at the top of page 18.

Child maintenance is reduced by 1/7th for each 52 nights that the non-resident parent has the children.

However it is based upon income and if you have no income, then you pay the nominal amount every week. It’s not based upon capital so the lump sum would not be taken into account.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks FES. I have read the document. As I understand it, I am not required to pay anything whilst my income is zero. Any lump sum or other assets are not taken into account? Please confirm.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 21 days ago.

If you are on benefits which are listed on pages 23 & 24 of the guide, you would pay a flat rate of 7 pounds per week otherwise with no benefits and no income you pay nothing.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks FES, that's everything I need.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 21 days ago.

No problem at all. I am glad to help. Please come back to me at any time if anything needs clarification. Kind regards.