How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7244
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Avoiding paying CMS fees/fines/penalties. Has always moved

This answer was rated:

Avoiding paying CMS fees/fines/penalties. Has always moved addresses to avoid being caught up with. (Catford; Lewisham; Bromley; on a boat in Apsley Marina to living rent free in his friends dead parents house in Letchworth). He has moved (cash amounts) all of his money/profit from the bank account his employers pays into (the one work&pensions take from to give to CMS), and his other personal bank account, into a monzo bank account and/or his mothers bank account; he did this as soon as work and pensions took part payment of a penalty without informing him, and because they could not withdraw it from the bank account his employers pays salary into, CMS took it from one of his other accounts that had money in it to cover the fee. In his own words; “HMRC cannot take what is not there and cannot take money from an overdraft”. He has also changed all of his banking correspondence addresses to his mothers address (Patricia Reilly) in Bedford.
He has asked his employer "woodalls design" to take him off of their payroll to become self-employed/contractor, which they have done, in order so that the work & pensions /cannot reassess his CMS payments and thousands of pounds of fines/penalties accordingly as per his new 3 figure salary. He also had this request met by his previous employer too “wearebw”.

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service, but will I will review your question and respond to you as soon as I can, as your question is very important to me. I hope that I can help you resolve your issue today.

What is your question about this please?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Does the above information constitute fraud against HMRC/work and pensions uk?

I'm afraid that in my view this does not.

It appears that he has used clever accounting methods in order to mimes his tax position and whilst this is ethically dubious it's not illegal.

The CMS do have a department that look into more complex cases such as this - the financial investigation unit.

Have you referred this to them?

I hope that your query has been resolved.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I hope at least they can catch up with him re his arrears now as I have submitted a report to HMRC (work and pensions who deal with the CMS) with an address I know they will be able to get in contact with him at. I will also check out the CMS financial investigation unit thank you.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.

plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you