How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2749
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My husband and I are going through a divorce and I am still

Customer Question

My husband and I are going through a divorce and I am still living with him. For the past two years I have been helping to pay for his postgrad degree and whilst our finances are still joint, I will be continuing to pay for them until June when he finishes his course and I move out. The thing is I need to re-train in order to earn better money and I have asked him to consider refunding me a portion of what I have paid out to help me with my degree. He was very annoyed and reluctant. Do I have a case to push him for this?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The divorce petition has been granted and will be read in court on 17th Nov.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It's being read in Birmingham. We live in Worcestershire.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, my husband thinks that splitting everything 50/50 i.e. he literally wants me to take half of all our possessions which isn't practical. We also have 2 children at university whop are financially dependent on us, but who will be living with me when I leave. He doesn't think it's necessary to help me with providing a home for them if he supports them financially. Is this the case?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

After divorce, 50/50 split is the normal Starting point form the marriage. A court could order differently and can also award spouse maintenance. Likewise, you can both decide other ways of splitting the property.The children are not at school and therefore donot receive child maintenance. As university students, they can apply for the student grants and even source their own employment as many students do.

There is no case where you can push him to pay towards you retrain or study, likewise, you do not have to continue funding his studies, you can let him fund his own postgrad degree.

Now is the time to seriously consider severing joint account and have your own, to protect you money.

Expert:  james bruce replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.