How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2700
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’ve been married for 5 years.. but separated after two

Customer Question

Hi I’ve been married for 5 years.. but separated after two months as he was a compulsive liar and conman. I have never been able to find him for a divorce. So I need to ask advice on what grounds I can divorce please.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have just spoken to citizens advice as I’m not sure how to go about this. That was one question he said I needed to find out first before I do anything.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No just a call to the citizens advice, as I’m wary of the cost as I can no longer work as I’m my sons carer.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much is this service please?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi James
That would be most helpful.. Thankyou.. I think I just need to know what reason I have to put please.
This is all rather a minefield for me.
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Not a problem. You actually have several options you can consider.

His behaviour would be classed as unreasonable behaviour, so that is one ground you could use.

Next as you have both left for more than two years then desertion can be considered and you may not need there consent for this.

A third option could be living a part for more than two year, but the other party must agree to this.

Finally, and probably the best in you case is the living apart for 5 years. Much the same as the two-year separation grounds, this final option has the advantage of not requiring consent from your spouse. If you can show that you have lived apart for over five years, the court will usually grant the divorce on these grounds.

You can actually make you application online using the government website and I have attached a lead to there for you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thankyou so much.. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and send me the link.
Kind regards
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Good luck and take care.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.