Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am not married but been with partner for 8 years and have

Customer Question

Hi I am not married but been with partner for 8 years and have 2 children with him . We have always lived between two houses as he would never committe 100 percent . He has now left me with the children and my landlord is selling my property that I have rented for nearly 8 years . He owns multiple houses and has grown his busines while I have stayed home and looked after the children . Is he responsible to house me and the children as my only option would be a homeless shelter with my kids while he had more than 8 houses sat there
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just looking for a house to rent but there is nothing in my price range
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 24 days ago.

Hello, thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time however, I will respond to your question today. I look forward to assisting you.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. However, I am afraid the simple answers no, he is not. As you are not married then the only responsibility you have to each other are the children. Sadly, there is no financial responsibility to each other as there would be if you are married. There is the common misconception in the UK that you obtain certain rights after being together for a period of time however this is simply not true. You will want to look at sorting the issues surrounding contract with the children. However, I am afraid that in terms of housing or financials etc. he has not responsibility to you if you were not married. I do wish I could give you better news as you are in difficulty position however, this is the way the law works.

I will provide you with a helpful link which will allow your to find a solicitor near you local area who will be able to assist you with this matter.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the future, please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.