How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3490
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I’ve been separated from my partner now for 10 years... we

This answer was rated:

Hi, I’ve been separated from my partner now for 10 years... we have a civil partnership, she is Spanish and lives in Spain, I’m back in the UK ..can I still claim for financial compensation from her even though we have been separated for 10 years...

Hi, I'm Lea

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. You say 'civil partnership' - do you mean you were legally married in a civil ceremony?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we were , still are legally married in a civil ceremony
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We got married in 2008

Are you intending to divorce here in the UK, or in Spain?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well we got married here in uk so here in UK but the apartment etc... is in Spain... I want some compensation for the money I spent on furniture etc....

You can petition for divorce as you are habitually resident here. Once you have started that process, and after the decree nisi has been pronounced, but before the decree absolute, you can put in a claim for a financial settlement. You have to try mediation before you apply to court.

The court will look at all the factors as listed in s25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, (google it to read the full list) and will assess each party's needs and the needs of any minor children, and the other listed factors, to decide how any marital property will be split.

SASH_Law and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you