How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3502
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Im in a civil partnership. and been separated for over 5

This answer was rated:

hi .im in a civil partnership. and been separated for over 5 years and dont know were my ex partner his .how do i get out of it please
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no because im not sure what to do
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: no i live in sheffield south yorkshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I'm Lea

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. When you say 'civil partnership' do you mean a legally recognised marriage/CP?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.

If you have been separated for five years you can go down the route of divorce/dissolution by using the give year route with no consent needed from the other party.

You can start the dissolution on a paper form (D8) or online, see here:

If you actually meant married, then the info is here:

Though the forms are the same for either process.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
if i do it how douse my ex find out

Yes, you will need to provide their last contact details on the forms.

SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you