SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Should a child visit his parent who is in self isolation due

Should a child visit his parent who is in self isolation due to travel abroad rules please? There are no court orders or requirements for medical care in this case.

Hi, I'm Lea

Your query is a little unclear...is the parent abroad and you are asking if the child can travel abroad for contact?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The parent works abroad and should self isolate according to the government rules when he comes back to England. Should the child wait until the parent finishes his self isolation after coming back to the U.K.?

Yes, absolutely. The parent should self isolate for the required 14 days and should not have contact with the child, or anyone else he doesn't live with, during that time. The contact with the child can be made up later.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could you please send me a link to the document in the Government legislation as an original source of the information where it says that the child should wait for 14 days? Many thanks

I think you're confusing what has been said. The PERSON returning to the UK has to self isolate...if that is the child, then the child does that with the parent he/she lives with, if the parent is the one returning, then he/she isolates. If the child doesn't live with the parent returning who has to isolate according to the law, then that parent cannot see the child.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The child lives in the U.K. and the parent returning to the U.K. is required to self isolate. The child doesn’t live in the same household with the parent.

Then the child and parent cannot see each other in person until the self isolation is over.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a document that states it please?

See my response with link above.