plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My husband has divorced in the past in UK (2014). They owned

Customer Question

My husband has divorced in the past in UK (2014). They owned no common property, no real estate, or any business activities. After the divorce, they did not do consent order in the Court. We met in 2015. We got married in 2017. We have shared business companies, common goods and 2 cars and 2 vans. His ex-wife also remarried in 2019. And she wants to claim our property because she is not doing well financially. My question concerns consent order after divorce. Do they still have to go to court to complete the order? Does the legal force expire when she remarries? Thank you very much for your advice. Katrina
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service, but I will review your question and respond to you as soon as I can, as your question is very important to me. I hope that I can help you resolve your issue today. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your patience.

As both parties have remarried, then it is not possible to claim on the assets of their former spouses.

This is known legally as the "remarriage trap".

Put simply, if you divorce and then remarry without first having made a claim for a Financial Order in the divorce petition or having issued an application for a Financial Order, then you are barred from seeking maintenance orders, lump sum orders or property adjustment orders.

So, neither will be able to claim on the others assets.

I hope that this answers your question?

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court!

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For PLCLEGAL only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Take care and stay safe.

Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. That was very helpful.
Now I am at ease that my Husband's ex-wife is unable to claim any rights to any property that she never owned. Fortunately, there is justice. Thank you again. Regards Katrina
Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Happy to assist. Take care.