How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am separated from my husband for 4 year, but I am paying

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am separated from my husband for 4 year, but I am paying the rent of a council garage for few years that i not using, it was used by my husband My husband is now in Romania and i want to end the contract and i went to the garage, where i've seen that has additional locks and is broken I am not sure what should i do ..
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The rent is under my name
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can say that i've never used the garage, i heard that the door was broken and i wanted to repair it and to end the contract, but my husband was saying that he would still used it or will cange the rent on his name or a friend of his name

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I am here but kindly give me a minute to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

You should not just let the contract lapse. You should first send him a written notice of your intention to do so and give him a time frame within which to make alternative arrangements. I usually recommend that you give at least 4 weeks. If he then does not make alternative arrangements then you could opt not to renew the contract and you would not be liable for what happens to his things.
Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your reply. I am also concerened of what might be inside. Should i try to open the garage door before finishing the contract or should i go to the counsil and tell the situation and let them open the garage doors ? Should i contact also the police ?

If you believe there is something inside that you ought reasonably should bring to the attention of the police then I do recommend that you do so.

You are welcome, I am happy I have been able to help.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello,Thank you very much for your quick reply and for your help. I have no clue of what to expect that is inside that garage... I am thinking to call the counsil, explain the situation and ask them if there is needed the police involvement...

If there is no evidence or reason to believe there is anything in there then all you really need to do is give notice of not renewing the contract and move on really.

You are welcome again. All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for all you hep ! I am also feeling much better now ! Have a great day !

You are most welcome!

ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience: Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you