Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

I wish to seperate from my spouse. There is no major reason

Good Morning. I wish to seperate from my spouse. There is no major reason other than we have drifted apart after 35 years and I want to move elsewhere. How do I go about it please.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing yet. I havent told him yet even.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Leamington Spa
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

You can separate as you wish but obviously if it can be done by amicable agreement it is better.

Many people prefer to formalise any arrangements with regard to money and financial issues by signing a Separation Agreement or a Deed of Separation.

These are not fully legally binding on the courts in England and Wales but if they are reasonable in the provisions made and both parties were independently advised prior to signing, it is unlikely a court would disregard them as this shows the intention of the parties.

Otherwise, if you are contemplating divorce, you could fill in a petition and commence divorce proceedings.

There is a court fee of £550 and you would need to use one of the five reasons for the ground of divorce.

In your case it would need to be behaviour.

In divorce you must also consider your financial arrangements and negotiation is best.

However, it may be premature to consider divorce and a period of separation may be the better option before rushing into anything final.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advice.

My pleasure.

Thank you for using the service today.