How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 981
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

As an ‘lasting power of attorney for property and financial

Customer Question

As an ‘lasting power of attorney for property and financial affairs’ for my dad and step-mum, how do I go about checking their bank accounts? Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps have been taken. We have just become concerned regarding health care they have been receiving from an individual who has also been ‘helping’ with their finances!
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I was under the impression that as myself and my sister have LPA for property and financial affairs we are already entitled to see bank statements for example!?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: do we have to go to court to be able to see their bank accounts?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only that we are concerned about someone who is regularly visiting their home and not acting in a professional manner.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear of your situation. If the LPA's are registered you can take them to the relevant banks to be scanned to your parent's accounts. You would need to either inform the banks you want statements, or inform them that you are taking over the accounts entirely. Do your parents have mental capacity?

Kind regards


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
they do have mental capacity, however they have been totally manipulated by this person who they have said they have depended on. So obviously this is a very sensitive matter. My sister and I were hoping to be able to check their bank accounts to ensure they are not being conned as we know the person in question has helped them set up a direct debit. We have also found out today this person has received previous complaints against them regarding money.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We do have registered LPA for property and financial affairs
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

Ok, so take the original LPA's or certified copies to the bank and simply request statements for the last 18 months to be sent to your home address.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not that I can think of at the moment. Thank you.
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One thing I’m concerned about when asking the bank is whether they need to inform my dad and step-mum. They are also registered LPAs for each other as well as my sister and myself to both. Obviously my sister knows but i was hoping not to have to tell my dad and stepmum at this stage.
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

No they don't need to inform your dad, does the LPA say that you can act jointly and severally?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It doesn’t say on my paperwork. It looks like I have to go to their solicitors to get a cope of the original LPA.
Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

You will need a certified copy of the whole document if you are going to the bank.

Have a good bank holiday.