How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4331
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My solicitor quoted me £800 for final settlement and consent

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My solicitor quoted me £800 for final settlement and consent order work .She did not say it would be subject to revision upwards. The bill has grown to £1400 and she wants £300 more .I want the work finished without any more costs
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Given her all the information required. The Consent order has not been presented to court yet .
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yes , Lincoln
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No , I don't think so. She said there would be additional fees if she had to get the wedding and divorce dates, but I provided them. She is a specialist .She knew what is involved when she quoted. And , as I say , there was no mention of the bill growing
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Was it a fixed fee she quoted you? Is it in writing?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello .The quote was verbal , in her office and has bee taken to be the pertinent figure in question .
She was instructed last year.
She did not mention that the fees would be revised up at any time., especially around the time when I engaged her .She has grown the bill to £1400 and now wants another £300 to complete.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No thanks. A £5 fee has grown by £44 in a few minutes
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

Sollicitors don't tend to carry out work without putting the instructions in writing in the form of a client care letter which details information that we are obliged to provide by our regulator.

So you need to check your client care letter carefully to see what it says regarding the fee, what work would be carried out, whether it was a fixed fee, or whether it was subject to increases (most are). If she is acting for you without having provided a client care letter and she is relying on her verbal response to your instructions, then if you are not satisfied that she has charged you fairly you first have to issue a formal complaint, and if not satisfied with that, can secondly refer the matter to the Legal Ombudsman.