How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7872
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My daughter wishe to appeal her family court decision to

Customer Question

My daughter wishe to appeal her family court decision to have her three children adopted. She has been treated differently for her younger child where assessments have been positive and he is in 9 month care order placed with her. However they say they have run out of time with older boys who have been in proceedings. Her circumstances have changed enabling her to keep baby so she wishes to appeal decision for older boys for whom a match has been found and panel date set for 22 June. Her solicitor says she has no merits for legal aid. So she wants to represent herself. But do not know where to begin.
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I though if you appeal decision in family court it had to go higher.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your daughter live in?
Customer: Leicester family court. What papers do we need
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is obvious history hence the decision with older boys
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  plclegal replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service, but I will review your question and respond to you as soon as I can, as your question is very important to me. I hope that I can help you resolve your issue today. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

Please also bear in mind that as it is not a normal working day responses may be slightly slower than usual.

Expert:  plclegal replied 11 days ago.

An appeal in the family court is made on the N161 form, unless she is appealing to the high court, in which case the form is the FP161. Both are available on the site if you search for them there.

Normally an appeal has to be made within 21 days of the decision that you wish to appeal. Grounds for an appeal are an error in fact, an error in law or a procedural error. An appeal can't be made just because you disagree with the outcome.

When submitting an appeal, you have to draft the grounds of appeal as a short document and then something called a skeleton argument which is a document setting out the reasons in more detail why an appeal should be allowed.

There is guidance on skeleton arguments here:

I hope that this helps.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court!

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For PLCLEGAL only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Thank you.

Take care and stay safe.

Expert:  plclegal replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter