How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

My partner is in the process of separating from her husband

This answer was rated:

Hi. My partner is in the process of separating from her husband and is in need of advice. Are you able to help?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: None as yet.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: Folkestone, I assume. If not then Canterbury.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we’re low wages. I’m on benefits due to disability and she earns less than £15k per year as a Support Worker.

Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm Jeremy, a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'd be delighted to give you some guidance. Is she looking for financial advice or what sort of arrangements to agree in relation to any children? Thanks, J

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Really it’s a case of knowing who’s responsible for costs, whether she should petition him or accept his demand that she accept his, false, accusation of adultery, can she sue him for costs, is it advisable to go through a solicitor or can she proceed without engaging one and finally does she qualify for legal aid?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She’s busy at the moment. Can we talk later, or tomorrow perhaps?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also, wasn’t expecting a charge….

Happy to chat tomorrow. You shouldn't be charged - only for the week which I believe is £5? I don't deal with that side of matters I'm afraid. You would need to speak to customer services about the various charges. I do always recommend that customers ensure they cancel after the first week if they're not going to continue using the service or else JA will take a monthly amount from you. Kind regards, J

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That’s what I thought. I the charge was £48 or so!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What time can we talk tomorrow? And did you get my number?

I'm around from about 10.30 am tomorrow. I haven't got your number - I can't seem to offer the telephone service as it's greyed out. This seems to happen a bit, I'm afraid. I'll Customer Services to try and reinstate the option. Kind regards, J

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My number is ***** 17 91. Zero zero 44.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you perhaps call me tomorrow.
Good evening. My apologies for not contacting you today. Sometimes, weekends can be quite difficult for me due to personal commitments so I'm grateful for your patience. I hope we can have a chat tomorrow (Sunday). Is there a good time in the afternoon or early evening for you? Kind regards, J
JeremyT1020 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Anytime tomorrow would be fabulous. Thank you for getting back to me!

Hello again. I'm unable to offer you a phone call from this end as the 'offer telephone call' option at this end is greyed out. All calls have to go through the JA server so they can be logged and I get paid by JA for answering your question. Are you able to offer it to me from your end? Otherwise, I'm happy to carry on answering by messaging. Kind regards, J

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No way to offer a call from this end.Happy to continue by message though. I’ll get my partner to chat with you? She’s here now.

Hello again. Please do. In the first instance, I'd always recommend your partner be the petitioner. This is because you can control what you write in the petition and, if you're petitioning based on adultery or unreasonable behaviour, you can ask that your spouse pay your legal costs. It's unlikely your partner would qualify for legal aid nowadays unless there had been evidence of domestic violence (normally police, GP, Social Services' reports) within the last 6 months. If she does potentially qualify, I recommend finding a solicitor who still offers legal aid as your costs will be significantly lower (or potentially nil).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi there , I’m Vicky , who s after the divorce, so , If I petition my husband on unreasonable behaviour, would my divorce be done quicker, or would I have to wait for the 2 year period to pass first .
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also my husband won’t pay the fees , so I was going to pay the costs , hoping he that he signs , if he accepts unreasonable behaviour.
Regards Vix
Hello Vicky. Yes, if you petitioned on the fact of unreasonable behaviour, you could start the petition straight away. It would probably take between 4 and 6 months to finalise.
It's possible you could use one of the online providers to keep your costs down. They can draft petitions and deal with the paperwork for a fraction of the cost of a solicitor.
If you paid the costs (and made no claim against him), it may well be enough to get him to agree to acknowledge the petition and allow it to proceed undefended.