How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2250
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My ex and 2children live in the uk. The question relates to

Customer Question

My ex and 2children live in the uk.
JA: Has your ex talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your ex live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: The question relates to the child maintenance calculation and the fact she willnp Not contributeto travel expensesto see them I livein a Australia, shelives in uk
JA: What steps has your ex taken so far?
Customer: We agreed for me to pay based on uk online calculator which is 1150AUD a month But this is flawed as it is based on a uk salary. My Australia salary is a lot higher than the uk equivalent as living expenses here are higher My au salary is 51k sterling but if living in the uk, my salary as a software dev would be between 31k to 35k sterling
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: One other thing, she will not pay towards travel costs for me to see them or for them to come here (if she lets them). I believe this annual cost should be deducted from the child maintenance if she does not contribute. Ps They were abductedin 2018, Not my choice. I have always paid maintenance
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm is this a private agreement between you?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this is a private agreement. Th payment amount is based on the child payment calculator. This does not take into account the costs for dad and children to see each other which would only be once a year at best. Hardly the best outcome for my kids or me. Given Covid, we haventseen each other since July/Aug 2019. I currently have no savings due to an operation I just had.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not right now. I imagine there is no cut and dry solution and it would involve quite a bit of work from a legal stan dfpoint and then going to court. I currently have no means to fund this.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you cannot agree you will need to take the matter through the courts by applying for a child arrangement order. You will also need to contact the Child maintenance services to make a private arrangement through them. Otherwise you may want to try mediation first to try to find an agreement between you through the help of a third party.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!