MarianC
MarianC,
Experience:  Expert
109551472

Can my daughter and her partner I write a letter instructed

Hi, can my daughter and her partner I write a letter instructed a lawyer how they want the profit from the sale, after cost to be split? Basically my daughter put up all of the initial £14,000 deposit, 18 months later, relationships broken down but still friendly. He agrees that she can have her £14,000 back but she doesn’t trust him if the money is put into their joint account. She wants to give a solicitor (not yet instructed, property going on market Tuesday) their individual bank account numbers for the split in a letter signed by both of them, he agrees to this . Presumably solicitors would take their joint instructions? No deed of trust originally drawn up because we didn’t know that even existed. Any advice please ? Thanks Carole
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: the only thing that they have done so far is had property valued and photos taken with it going on market Tuesday. No solicitors yet
Customer: the only thing that they have done so far is had property valued and photos taken with it going on market Tuesday. No solicitors yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not yet, she spoke to me late last night and it’s been worry me all night!
Customer: No not yet, she spoke to me late last night and it’s been worry me all night!
Customer: No not yet, she spoke to me late last night and it’s been worry me all night!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, really it’s very basic, I think. She put in 14,000, there may be a total profit of 36,000, but although he says she can have that back, I think it should be in writing, he says he will sign something

Good afternoon, thank you for your question. There is not need to worry, the solicitors will send the sale proceeds to which ever bank accounts they are instructed to pay it to, it does not have to be a joint account.

Marian

Good morning do you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. My daughters main concern is that as they didn’t have a deed of trust and the house is in joint names that the solicitor that they instructed to deal with the sale with spit the proceeds 50/50, she says the original contract says that. However, her partner agrees to her having her original deposit of 14,000 back THEN spit the remaining profit 50/50, meaning that she would have a substantial amount more than him. He is prepared to put in a joint letter his agreement, my question is will a solicitor take that letter and act on it and do the final profit of the house proceeds split as their instructions or insist on the 50/50 split. Thank you

The solicitor will act on their instructions regarding payment of the proceeds of sale, the only thing they won't do is pay any money to a third party on their behalf. I would suggest that they sign the letter asap.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** tell her.

Thank you, ***** ***** good weekend.