How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2585
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My mum needs to collect her property from her ex partners

Customer Question

My mum needs to collect her property from her ex partners house. She had to flee due to domestic violence. He is refusing to let her pick it up
JA: What steps has your mother taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, we’ve asked the police and they said it’s nothing to do with them. We asked our family solicitor and she wasn’t sure if we could do anything either. We’re stuck .
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your mother live in?
Customer: We are in Kent.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My mums ex boyfriend also stole £8000 out of her safe she kept in the house. And will this cost me any money to speak with a solicitor?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He also has my mums fridge and cooker of which she paid for and has receipts for
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He basically bled her dry £23,000.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear what has been happening to your mom.

Your mom cannot force her way into the property unfortunately, if she were to do this she would run afoul of the law. What she may do is commence legal action against him for the return of the property and/or the cost of replacing it.

Usually, once there is the threat of legal action, persons are usually more accommodating. What I recommend therefore is for her to write to him advising of her intention to commence legal action for the return of her property. With respect to the money, she may just have to commence legal action to have this returned. She is first required to write a letter to him asking for it to be returned. She is required to give him some time to comply, usually 14 days. If he fails to repay in that time, she may issue a claim in the small claims court.

Here is where she may file the claim.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.