JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

I’m selling my share of our home to my ex husband, a fairly

Customer Question

I’m selling my share of our home to my ex husband, a fairly straightforward transaction however is there anything I should know that I might not be aware of.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm Jeremy, a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. If you haven't got one already, I strongly recommend you ensure the transaction is recorded in a consent order sealed by a district judge.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jeremy thank you, ***** ***** should cover that as it’s my name coming off the deeds. How much roughly should I allow for a solicitor to oversee this transaction on my behalf. Apart from liaising with his solicitor and receiving the settlement, is there anything else I need my solicitor to cover? Thanks
Lynn
Hello Lynn. Thanks for the extra info - very helpful. I might not necessarily be able to respond straight away this evening as I'm with family but I will always get back to you as soon as possible.
you're doing a transfer of equity and remortgage? Your ex husband is raising a lump sum to buy you out?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No problem at att, have a lovely evening and I’ll ick up with you Monday.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh you’re back...
If so, you'll get a transfer deed (TR1) - you need to look at this carefully!
I'm back! :)
I can explain what should be written in the boxes. How much is he paying you as a lump sum?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my husband is taking out a mortgage to cover the cos.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
160k
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/registered-titles-whole-transfer-tr1
This is a transfer deed. In fairness, your transactions with his conveyancer will be comparatively limited.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m under the impression I’ll just need to sign the deeds over to him.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
do I need a solicitor?
At paragraph 4, you and your ex husband are the transferor and he will be the sole transferee at para 5.
The consideration at para 8 is £160k. The conveyancer will draft all this. You'll just need to approve it. You'll get an engrossing (final) copy for you to sign in the presence of a witness but you mustn't date. The conveyancer will deal with all that before it gets sent to the Land Registry. Transfers of equity can normally be dealt with pretty quickly to be honest!
You probably don't need a solicitor. Either me or another expert could have a look at it on here for you. I deal with quite a lot of TR1s in my day job to be fair.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok that’s great thanks. I’ll be back in touch when I hear from his solicitor. Have a lovely evening. Lynn
you. Speak soon. J