How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4338
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

How much alimony for 18 years old child on full time

This answer was rated:

How much alimony for 18 years old child on full time University study I have to pay? salary 135K per year
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he has health problem as well Scoliosis

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. If there is no court ordered child maintenance, e.g. as per a divorce financial order, then your liability for child maintenance ended once he started full time education. However, your child can still claim maintenance from you - and if you can agree it between you then you should do that, otherwise your child can raise a claim via the courts and the courts will decide.

It is not possible to state how much you will have to pay because that will be an assessment made by the court based on your full financial disclosure. But you can use a CMS calculator to try to get a round figure based on your income (CMS calculators go up to an income of £3k a week). See here:

Please bear in mind that these calculators are for school children up to A levels or equivalent, and your son will have additional expenses as he is in university, so only use it as a base figure. It is probably best to discuss with your son what his termly expenses are and then take a view on what percentage of those expenses you and his other parent wish to meet - bearing in mind any student loans or grants he may be eligible for.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you