plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

At FHYDRA Directions the Legal associate said Statements in

At FHYDRA Directions the Legal associate said Statements in 6 weeks, and another statement from each party 1 week before Final Hearing.Is it acceptable for me to leave my Witness Statement until that final statement 1 week before?
Frankly, I don’t relish the idea of my Ex making up more fiction after he has read my Witness Statement and giving him 5 weeks to do it. I rather suspect he will also do the same.Other than reading Directions closely (when they finally arrive.....) do you have any other suggestion as to protocols here?Off doing the school run shortly, that may curtail my incessant questions for the day!

Thank you for the question, happy to help as ever.

I will review shortly and revert back to you.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

It seems that the statement due in 6 weeks will be your full witness statement. The one a week before the hearing is normally just an updating position statement to clarify any new developments and the outstanding issues. If you file your main witness statement as late as 1 week prior to the hearing then you risk the court needing to adjourn to give your ex time to properly respond - and possibly wasted costs. I appreciate you don't want to give him ammunition but this is the process, I'm afraid.

I hope that clarifies.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For PLCLEGAL only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Take care and stay safe.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
helpful.
I have been in hearings where Judge allows main statements in, as late as the hearing date! This is annoying when one has prepared but the other side has absolutely not.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter