plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Help with understanding legal position on use of inheritance

Help with understanding legal position on use of inheritance and redundancy to support my alcoholic husband before we separated and before his SIPP started

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once and this is an email service.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you advise me on the legal position on inheritance of and redundancy monies that I shared with my husband before we separated when he was made redundant and I supported him on my inheritance and redundancy monies. He was an alcoholic so spent a lot of money

Of course, I'll do my best.

In a marriage, all assets are considered joint assets, as a starting point.

Any money that you come into (through inheritance or redundancy) is assumed to be a joint asset unless expressly stated otherwise.

However, when deciding on the split of matrimonial assets in a divorce, you can raise a conduct argument.

You could make representations to the court that his financially irresponsible behaviour and addictions decimated the marital funds, and ask the judge to reflect this in the final decision on the asset split.

I hope that this helps, it's never a straightforward issue I'm afraid.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court!

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For PLCLEGAL only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Take care and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter