How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AkuaK Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1710
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AkuaK is online now

I'm separated and at the time we agreed that our daughter

Customer Question

I'm separated and at the time we agreed that our daughter would remain with him as he could afford to keep the family home and they have a lot of shared interests. I'm now regretting that decision as I feel like I'm having her less and less as he keeps booking her things to do that intrude on my time. The agreement is not legally binding as of yet and we've not started divorce proceedings. What is my best course of action. To move her to me would mean a change in schools (not necessarily a bad thing as the school she is currently at is the worst school in the area. The other negative would be that I can't drive but my ex can so he does take her all over.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, we've only been separated since October and I moved out two months ago due to delays in buying a property. We agreed to wait for no fault or the two years (although again I've looked at unreasonable behaviour.)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Our daughter is adopted. I do think that if you asked her she'd want to stay with him however as she's nearing puberty I'm not sure he can take on those conversations etc. He also does treat her older than her years and she's learnt a few things from films he's let her watch that I don't agree with for an 8yr old. Even when we were together though my opinion got dismissed and it would happen anyway. He's very lack with the discipline to the extent that she can be wild and is so used to getting her own way it can be hard to control her. Again when we were together any attempts I made to discipline would be ignored by him. I feel like as she's gotten older he's pushed me out of her life and his due to the fact that he'll take her out when I'm working or places he knows that I have no interest in going to.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AkuaK replied 15 days ago.

Good afternoon,  is there any child arrangements order in place?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Nothing legally binding as of yet. Just an agreement between the two of us.
Expert:  AkuaK replied 15 days ago.

Then the first step would be to consider your child’s wishes and feelings and what would be the best way to make agreement between yourselves. If nothing can be agreed then you need to go for a MIAM meeting with a meditator if there is still no agreement then you can submit a c100 child arrangements application which will be decided in court in regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  AkuaK replied 15 days ago.

It was a pleasure assisting you today.