How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8286
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Started divorce proceedings, have a house joint mortgage,

Customer Question

Hi started divorce proceedings, have a house joint mortgage, and agreed to split the house 50/50. Want to know how much of his RAF pension and school pension I’m entitled too. We’re married 27 years and separated for 7. He wants the divorce as has terminal cancer, needs money from the sale of house.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No Just started have a case manager
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No not as yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In the clean break I would like added he has to clear and get the house cleaned as he was living in it. Am I entitled to his RAF pension when he dies. Split the divorce costs as he wants the divorce? Can I get reduced court fees?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

In terms of pensions you are entitled to 50% of any pension rights he acquired during your marriage, which includes any period of separation up until the decree absolute. In terms of getting the house cleaned he may agree to that. In terms of the entitlement to pension when he dies, if you are divorced by that point almost certainly no. Up to you, if you want to split divorce costs but that is sensible. No the court fees are the same for everyone in relation to divorce. I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
With regard to pension rights, will the managed team sort this out through the clean break assessment, or do I have to employ a solicitor to sort this out?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I work in a prison so do not have access to my mobile phone during the core day
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.
It will be determined as part of the financial division and included in the court order at the end with the clean break. I trust this assists.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for you assistance
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.
Happy to help take care