ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My son was receiving ESA for 2 years back in 2013 & child

my son was receiving ESA for 2 years back in 2013 & child support was being deducted from his benefit, the CSA are now saying he owes £2600.00 in arrears for this period. Can we dispute this?
JA: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, he has been paying his daughter's mother £25.00 per week through my bank since he returned to work - we have sent proof of these payments to the CSA.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: We live in Conwy county
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The CSA have been taking about £28.00 a week from his wages since April 2020 on top of the £25.00 direct payment. We have now had another message from the CSA saying that he will have to pay £470.00 odd per month as there are more arrears to pay.

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

The simply answer is that the CSA gets it wrong sometimes and in fact I have seen a lot of times where they have in fact gotten it wrong. So the fact that they say he is in arrears does not mean this is in fact the case.

I recommend that you write to them disputing the amount being charged. It is best though to put your dispute in writing , this is so as to ensure you have record of your complaint/dispute having being made. Once you have put your dispute in writing they are mandated to review.

It is also beneficial if you were able to include with your letter copies of your bank statement which clearly shows the money being deducted from your account.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Bar Professional Training Course