How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4518
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am starting the divorce process. where do I start? no

Customer Question

I am starting the divorce process. where do I start?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no nothing - just started today. Wife has asked me to move out.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: this response does not make sesne
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am based in Kingsbridge devon tq73bh
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Have you started your petition yet, or do you need to know how to start the divorce?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 21 days ago.

Divorce is a reasonably straightforward process and you can do it all online these days. I will link you to where you can find the online process and the paper application below.

The divorce petition form is called a D8 form. You complete this (either online or on paper), and the cost is £550. If you are on a low income or benefits you may be entitled to fee remission and if so should complete form EX160. If you do the divorce application online, the EX160 form is included in the online system, otherwise you will need to complete the physical form.

Once the D8 is submitted (either online or via paper application) the court will issue the paperwork to your spouse and they will have time to respond before the divorce moves on to the decree nisi stage. There is more information about the divorce process at the link below.

Form D8:

Online system:

EX160 form:

More info on the process: