Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My sister is now to my mum, who now lives with my sisters

Customer Question

My sister is now Carter to my mum, who now lives with my sisters family. I have cared for mum for most of the last 120 years since Dad died, with my sister popping in now and then.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: my sister is very spiky and is now restricting when I can see mum, saying that I can’t visit her in my sisters house because she feels this is like treating her home as a care home. She is also persuading my mum not to call and receive daily telephone calls from me as we have always done and she now has power of attorney...Mum is a bit frightened of my sister and will not go against anything she says.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: my sister is very spiky and is now restricting when I can see mum, saying that I can’t visit her in my sisters house because she feels this is like treating her home as a care home. She is also persuading my mum not to call and receive daily telephone calls from me as we have always done and she now has power of attorney...Mum is a bit frightened of my sister and will not go against anything she says.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my mum is 85, virtually blind and deaf and has severe mobility issues.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
We are in Worsley Manchester
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 19 days ago.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have cared for my mum for 10 years. Am now being prevented from seeing her by my sister, who practically is the only one she can live with as I am caring for another octogenarian. Just give me some advice as to what I can and can’t do and more importantly, what my sister can’t do.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Please continue
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 18 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

So to be clear the only one with Power of Attorney (POA) for your mum is your sister?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

I see, well in terms of your query in essence anyone can determine who has access to their property and under what conditions so your sister can of course, decide that you can or cannot visit your mother at her home as it is her home. In terms of the fact your mother is now not behaving as she did before eg. calls and so on that may be the decision of your mother, and it may be under the influence of your sister but without evidence of something untoward there is not really anything that can be done there. If you have concerns about the use of the POA you can report these to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) who can investigate: https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy-guardian

I trust this assists

Let me know if you have follow up questions