james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am asking on behalf of a colleague, I would like to know -

Customer Question

I am asking on behalf of a colleague, I would like to know
- the current laws and legislations surrounding forced marriage.
- status of this civil/criminal offence
- victims rights when involved in forced marriagein terms of a civil discussion
Expert:  james bruce replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Arranged marriages where the parties involved are in agreement, are allowed and legal, because the would be bride and groom agree to the marriage.

Forced marriages in the U.K., are illegal

Forced marriage is illegal in the UK under s.120 Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 making it a criminal offence. They can be fined and or sent to prison for up to 5 years.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok!

your very welcome

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hello sorry did you answer the questions?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, I don't actually see an answer for my question, are you sure you have sent one?

Sorry, I assumed your "ok" acknowledged the answer.

please see the answer above, in includes the current legal legislation regarding forced marriages and the penalties those face who force people into arranged marriage.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi I am so sorry but I cannot see anything. Are you able to send it again please?

of course will be back in a few minutes.