How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1486
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Can I connect with FE as he is the solicitor working on my

Customer Question

Can I connect with FE Smith as he is the solicitor working on my case.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 15 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning Peter and thanks for contacting me. I did ask if I could connect with Mr F.E.Smith as he already has all the background on this situation. Also I am not sure it is really family law we are talking about. The situation is related to a sum of £11k which Lambeth Council allege is owed by my aunt for care dating back to 2007. Could you please advise the best way to proceed. Many thanks
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Not a problem - I will opt out for my colleague to assist you in that case. I had been asked to take this on as it hadn't been picked up by your requested expert, but if you wait a little longer he will be able to help I'm sure. Take care.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. Will someone alert him to my request as the case has been closed and I am unable to message him directly?
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 12 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Good Morning and thanks for getting back to me.
In my original request I asked to be connected with F.E.Smith as he dealt with this case previously and knows the background.
Is he still with you? It would make things a lot easier to get him back on the case. Many thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi - could you please let me know when I might hear from the new solicitor. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please could you put me in touch with someone who can help with my questions. Thanks
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 9 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,