How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8032
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

When i was 21 i got married to a guy and still dont know if

This answer was rated:

Hi there, when i was 21 i got married to a guy and still dont know if he divorced me and when i got in contact with him he hasn't replied to my messages and i dont know what to do. he moved to another country as well.
JA: What steps have you and the I taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you and the I live in?
Customer: Dubai and London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Thanks for your patience. You can ask the central registry of the family court to perform a search for any final divorce documents filed in your name, they can search over a 10 year period.

It's unlikely that a divorce could have been processed without your knowledge though, in the UK, as the court requires both parties to have divorce papers served on them.

The information about searching is here:,10%20year%20period%20that's%20searched.

If you are not divorced, then you can apply yourself, the information you need is here:

I hope that this answers your question?

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

plclegal and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hi , thank you for your reply. Can I do the same in Dubai? as we got married there or shall i ask at the embassy?

I can't speak for the process in Dubai, so yes I would suggest contacting the embassy for assistance with that. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter