How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8024
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I need assistance in responding to a divorce petition as i

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I need assistance in responding to a divorce petition as i can't afford a legal representative
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: My ex has filed a petition in court January 21, which I have responded but following my response, he has updated the petition with more lies
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Court location is in Harlow but I live in Wilmslow
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That the marriage has broken down irretrievably and i don't feel safe
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is*****’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

Please be patient with me as I am generally assisting multiple customers at once! Thank you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Can you clarify - you agree that the marriage has broken down and you also agree to the divorce - but you don't feel that the contents of the petition are true?

What response did you give and what has he now done to update this (copies of documents would help here)?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Thank you - what are the issues that you have with the contents of the petition?

Has he asked you to pay the costs of this or not?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He has asked me to pay for the cost including requesting for a financial order despite no kids nor property during our marriage years.
All of the accusations are false, he is abused emotionally and psychologically leading to a physical breakdown that affected my job yet claiming otherwise and basically use y response and reason to antagonise me
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience.

The box ticking the financial order is just an indication that finance s need to be considered, even if this is just an order stating that there are no further financial ties between you. It's not unusual for a clean break financial order to be worked out even with no assets, as this protects both of you from a future claim from your ex.

If you are at the stage where you can still contest the divorce, you could approach him and say that you will not do so on the basis that he pays the fee or that the fees are shared, for example. The reality is that the contents fo the petition have next to no impact in the financial settlement and you have no assets to divide anyway. The divorce 'record' doesn't record why the divorce was granted, so challenging things in the petition that are false is really a waste of time and money, given that the reasons are not recorded anywhere. The contents of the petition are not a matter of public record.

I hope that this assists?

Expert:  plclegal replied 15 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter