SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Can I become a guardian to my grandchild? not yet,

Can I become a guardian to my grandchild?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yorkshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My daughter is in a complicated relationship situation

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Do the parents want you to become a guardian?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.

You can find out more about becoming a child's guardian here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-special-guardian

You will need to notify the local authority three months before making an application to court. They will carry out an assessment.

You will need the consent of the parents who have parental responsibility, and in the absence of their consent you will need the consent of the court, which you can apply for on form C2. See the above link for the form.