How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8024
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My partner and I have decided to end our ten year

Customer Question

Hello, My partner and I have decided to end our ten year relationship
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Ashton -under-lyne, greater manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none - conversaton only happened last night
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I moved from my rented home in Surrey with my 16 year old - all electrical and furniture were brought up in June 2012 - all belonging to myself - over the years, things have been replaced by him - and he is saying everything is his
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Unless you are married, there is no presumption that items bought during the course of a relationship are jointly owned. So ownership comes down to whether a) there is an express intention that they are shared items or b) the fact of legal ownership - i.e. who pad for the items.

A further difficulty is that second hand goods aren't worth much, and to replace them costs far more than the second hand equivalent is worth.

Disputes as to ownership are usually resolved through the small claims court, if you can't settle this amicably. I would suggest thought that it is worth attending a mediation session with an accredited family law mediator to see if there is a possibility of agreement without having to take any formal steps.

The link here allows you to find someone near to you:

And this link here tells you more about the mediation process:

I hope that this answers your question?

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter