How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 338
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

I was divorced in 2019 the marital home has been in my name

Customer Question

I was divorced in 2019 the marital home has been in my name since 2016 my ex husband has now raised an interest in the home I have sole it and bought another and will have cash for him can he stop this sale or rebuy
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Yes but its difficult his lawyer is always off work and now mine has gone on holiday I cant sleep at night I'm worried sick I just need to know if he can stop the sale and rebuy
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I dont think so
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
but she is on holiday please I cant sleep at night
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will ring her when she is back on the meantime I just need peace of mind please repond
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How long does it take to answer a qx
Question I think this may be a scan to get £5 if not then respond before I report this
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 20 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma so I'd be happy to offer some guidance. Firstly, how long were you and your husband married? Secondly, do you have any dependent children? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
26 years and children mine from previous marriage grown up and married themselves
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for the additional information. If your husband has placed a matrimonial home rights notice on the property, he will be able to stop the sale. Spouses who are not on the deeds will often do this as a way to give themselves some leverage in negotiations.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 19 days ago.
You will either need to agree a share of the equity with him pronto (and he's likely to demand blood if he knows you want a quick sale) or accept that the sale will be delayed and bargain hard with him. I'm afraid it's a stark choice.