How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 15892
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

We have been separated since 2014, and have a 20 year old

This answer was rated:

hello. we have been separated since 2014, and have a 20 year old daughter. we don't own anything in common. I am a high earner and he does not work but we agreed from the outset that i would never pay him anything as I am responsible for our daughter. Can we divorce by joint agreement without me having to pay him anything?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in London Camden and he lives in Bristol
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really. He has met someone and I live on my own


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

In short, yes you can divorce by mutual agreement.

You will need to file for divorce at your local family court. The more you can agree between you, the more straightforward the process becomes.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

INC Law and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you