How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5414
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My husband and I separated over 2 years ago but have

Customer Question

Hi. My husband and I separated over 2 years ago but have continued to live in the same house. The house is in my name but we both share the costs of running the home equally. The situation is extremely amicable and there are no plans to change it. Am I still able to apply for a divorce?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have just printed the forms off for us to complete and sign
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and I have reviewed your question for you. Yes you can apply as long as you can evidence that indeed you have been apart from your marital relationship for as long as you say and that you are able to remain under the same roof should not prejudice you. All the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. Take care
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

No problem at all, glad to have been of assistance.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry, will our statement and signature in the decree nisei application count as evidence?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

It will but be prepared to provide any specific evidence the Court may request if the judge dealing with the application finds it curious that nothing has changed save for saying that you have been separated for at least 2 years. Anything can be requested so I regrettably cannot say what a judge may want to be addresssed specifically when dealing with your specific circumstances.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Fair enough. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your day
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome and you have a lovely day too.