JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

How do I go about a transfer of equity? I am getting a

Customer Question

How do I go about a transfer of equity? I am getting a divorce and my husband has money coming to him in the future as pay for work done during our marriage. Instead of splitting all assets, to make it easier we agree he should pass me a certain amount of his equity. That way we can have a clean break as soon as possible and no ongoing financial ties.
Can we just do the transfer of equity and not bother with the consent order?
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 18 days ago.
Good morning and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'd be happy to offer some guidance as I regularly deal with consent orders and transfers of equity. In this case, I strongly recommend you obtain a clean break order. The clean break order means there are no 'second bites at the cherry.' Normally, you would ensure that the order was drafted and signed before the transfer happened (or was underway). If, for whatever reason, you need to complete the ToE first, make sure that any subsequent consent order records when it happened and how much you received. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Kind regards, J