How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 338
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

How do I go about a transfer of equity? I am getting a

Customer Question

How do I go about a transfer of equity? I am getting a divorce and my husband has money coming to him in the future as pay for work done during our marriage. Instead of splitting all assets, to make it easier we agree he should pass me a certain amount of his equity. That way we can have a clean break as soon as possible and no ongoing financial ties.
Can we just do the transfer of equity and not bother with the consent order?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 18 days ago.
Good morning and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'd be happy to offer some guidance as I regularly deal with consent orders and transfers of equity. In this case, I strongly recommend you obtain a clean break order. The clean break order means there are no 'second bites at the cherry.' Normally, you would ensure that the order was drafted and signed before the transfer happened (or was underway). If, for whatever reason, you need to complete the ToE first, make sure that any subsequent consent order records when it happened and how much you received. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Kind regards, J