How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2714
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have recently divorced, my ex has the kids monday and

This answer was rated:

I have recently divorced, my ex has the kids monday and thursday night and every other weekend. I have found a job 3 hours away from where I live now. My new partner lives there, my kids get along great with him and I have a support network in the new area too. How likely is it that my ex can prohibit this move?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: not yet, there is no child act in place either, I was hoping to do this without court involvement, however want to be aware of what might happen.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Acharacle, sherifs court is in fort william
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not to my knowledge, so far there have been no issues. I have permanent work, my partner does, my ex and his partner don’t. I receive no maintenance money, I have never claimed it as I feel I can maintain the kids by myself

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

While he may raise a challenge to this, it is unlikely the court would prevent you moving. When the court usually takes a robust approach is if you were looking to go to another country. However, relocating to anywhere in the UK should be fine. The court is very much aware that it has to consider the fact that you may have to move for work purposes.

What I do recommend though is speaking to dad about the move and trying to resolve things amicably. In my experience situations such as these usually escalate when the other parent feels they are not communicated with or their right to be involved in the child's life is ignored. Perhaps you could come to some agreement as to how contact could still be facilitated even with you moving far away.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you