How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5419
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I am a cousin of someone who died suddenly at work on

This answer was rated:

I am a cousin of someone who died suddenly at work on Wednesday and leaving behind a 12 year old daughter
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no,
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Middlesex
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the child has refused to go to her father

Good evening. Welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. If your cousin did not leave a Will with her wishes and the child does not want to go to their father and you do not already have any guardianship rights over the child. You could apply to Court without delay this is because social services will soon get involved if not already and if there is a surviving parent that had parental responsibility they may remove her to her father. If social services is already involved and you are willing to take care of the child you must notify them of your interest without delay in which case Court may not be necessary if they assess you and they are happy to leave her with you, any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message and I am glad to guide further.

SolicitorRM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have just started looking through the paperwork.

Hi I have just received your call request are you happy fir me to call you back ?

Let me know when to call you, I can call in the morning too as it may be too late now.

Morning. I have seen your message I think you posted it as a separate enquiry, I will call you around 12.

I have not been able to call you due to a hearing. What time can I try you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you call tomorrow 2pm

No problem I will try then.

Hi, I am glad we managed to speak in the end. You are doing a great thing for your cousin's daughter and do not be discouraged  by other people who may have ulterior motives. Once you have your letters of administrationa and you have grant of probate you will be able to contact the insurer in South Africa too for her policy to be processed. Please do not hesitate to send your any follow up message should you have any later, as long as I am online I will be happy to guide you. All the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When I apply for letter of administration. Is it possible to have two co administrations?

Good evening, The Court can consider more than one yes and no more than 4 if you are all entitled to apply. They can be reluctant to however because of the possibility of conflicts and potential of delaying administering the estate due to disagreements. But technically it is very possible and if you are agreeing with the other person it is best to apply together so that you both get the authority at the same time and get on with dealing with her estate without too much delay.