AkuaK
AkuaK,
Experience:  Expert
109603637

I have questions regarding same-sex marriage that was

Customer Question

Hello!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have questions regarding same-sex marriage that was registered in the USA between two Hungarian nationals (my husband and his ex partner). Hungary doesn't recognize same-sex marriage but we are moving to the UK that recognizes same-sex marriage that was registered in the USA. Since then my husband separated from his ex and we are living in a registered partnership in Hungary, that is recognized by the country. If we move to the UK, do they need to divorce? Will their marriage be valid even if it isn't valid in Hungary? Will our registered partnership be valid in the UK, given the circumstances?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps were taken yet.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Currently we live in Hungary
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I think that's all.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello!Yes, I still would like to receive an answer.KR
Expert:  AkuaK replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon, if you are planning to move to the U.K. under the partner route then your partner would need to legally divorce with his ex.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 8 days ago.

Your marriage would be valid in U.K. as long as your partner has divorced other persons.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!