Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My ex has a property abroad its in his name but i

my ex has a property abroad its in his name but i contributed i to it can i get a statement saying if anything happens to him it belongs to me if i divorce him

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Did he buy it with your help and while you have been married?

and are you seperated at moment?

There are a variety of ways of dealing with this and the most logical is to put the property into joint names if he agrees.

If he doesn’t, then you get divorced it would be a case of you grabbing more of the UK assets and letting him have the property abroad and although you could get a court order in the UK to compel him to sell the property abroad, it’s not going to be easily enforceable in another country.

It was in the UK you obviously have a financial/beneficial/equitable claim because you contributed even though legally it is only in his name.

A lot depends whether he is going to argue.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace