How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 23781
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My ex has a property abroad its in his name but i

This answer was rated:

my ex has a property abroad its in his name but i contributed i to it can i get a statement saying if anything happens to him it belongs to me if i divorce him

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Did he buy it with your help and while you have been married?

and are you seperated at moment?

There are a variety of ways of dealing with this and the most logical is to put the property into joint names if he agrees.

If he doesn’t, then you get divorced it would be a case of you grabbing more of the UK assets and letting him have the property abroad and although you could get a court order in the UK to compel him to sell the property abroad, it’s not going to be easily enforceable in another country.

It was in the UK you obviously have a financial/beneficial/equitable claim because you contributed even though legally it is only in his name.

A lot depends whether he is going to argue.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 23781
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Stuart J and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you