plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I HAVE WANTED TO REVERT TO MY FAMILY NAME FOLLOWING MY

Customer Question

I HAVE LONG WANTED TO REVERT TO MY FAMILY NAME FOLLOWING MY DIVORCE I HAVE STARTED THE PROCESS, HAVE CHANGED MY PASSPORT AND I AHVE A CHANGE OF NAME DEED POLL CERTIFICATE. MOST PEOPLE WANT AN ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE , I ONLY HAVE A LETTER CONFIRMING MY DECREE ABSOLUTE WAS GRANTED. WILL THE DEED POLL CERTIFICATE BE SUFFICIENT
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have been divorced for some time twenty years, The delay was because I didn't think that I could afford the money in order to revert to my family name. I have since learnet that is not the case and I have changed my name back by deed poll. I don't have a divorce certificate all I have is a letter of confirmation confirming the judge granted me a decree absolute therefore the marriage was annulled in Spain
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no , I didn't think I had to go down that road until I have changed my name to bank, pension people, doctor's etc etc
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No other unless he needs to ask me something
Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for your patience.

For most, the letter plus the deed poll (or in fact the deed poll alone) will be sufficient.

However, it's not that complicated to get a copy of the actual decree absolute, should you need it.

You'll find the instructions on how to do this here:

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order#:~:text=You%20can%20ask%20the%20Central,10%20year%20period%20that's%20searched.

If you have the case number ***** date, and know the court, then it will only cost £10 to order a copy.

I hope that this answers your question?

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 11 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter