plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Is civil partnership and marriage the same thing legally?

Customer Question

is civil partnership and marriage the same thing legally ? because we do want to enter a civil partnership but not ready to get married yet.
Expert:  plclegal replied 12 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no sorry I can't wait till tomorrow
Expert:  plclegal replied 12 days ago.

OK, I'll give you an answer now in that case. I'm not working but I can be online.

There is very little to differentiate between the two.

Legally speaking, a civil partner has as many rights as a married partner.

For a civl partnership there is a ceremony, a legal process and a life long commitment that can only be undone by a court order. So whether you chose one or the other, the legal implications really are the same.

I hope this helps you make your decision?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
do you know if civil partnership will be recognized as marriage in other countries ( Canada ?) it really shouldn't because we do not sign an official marriage paper right ?
Expert:  plclegal replied 11 days ago.

Yes, civil partnership is recognised as equivalent to a marriage in most 'western' countries.

Specifically for Canada, my understanding is that it is the same. See here: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=aba99bbe-adb6-4344-af3f-00f04028e42c

Thank you for your enquiry. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you. Also I hold a Canadian passport which is visa exempt for entering the UK. Ive been in the UK for about 6 months and I've been granted exceptional assurance because of the current conditions in Canada. I was wondering if I can now apply for the tier 4 dependent visa form within the UK ? or do I have to contact home office and mention that before applying for the visa ?
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for the additional question. It's actually an immigration question though and not something I am able to assist with. You can of course post this as a new question from our homepage, marked for the attention of an immigration advisor and a colleague in that department will pick it up for you. Thanks for your understanding.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.
Pleasure