How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 319
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

Me and my partner have decided we would like to separate. We

This answer was rated:

Me and my partner have decided we would like to separate. We lived together for 12 years, did not marry as my partner is strongly against marriage for ideological reasons. At the start of our relationship, my partner inherited from her gandma and user her inheritance to buy a small home, which was put in her name. The propert was in very bad condition, and as keen DIY person i spent many hours renovating the house, using some of my savings to pay for the paint and other decorate elements. 2 years ago I asked my partner about registering the house in joint names, but she said it was unnecessary as the she said the house was mine just as much as her. So my question is, how willl the court deal with the financial position after we separate?
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma so I'd be happy to provide some guidance. Firstly, do you and your partner have any children? Secondly, how much is the house worth? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Jeremy. We don't have any children. The house was purchased for £290k in 2009.
Thank you for your additional information. Essentially, by helping renovate the property as well as paying into it, you have created what is known as a constructive trust. This is a monetary interest in a property that you don't legally own. You would need to get the property valued and work out how much it had increased in value over the intervening 12 years. From that, you would need to value your labour and contributions to the property. This can often be quite tricky but, without a doubt, your input has added value to that property. I would argue that you were entitled to at least half the increase in value. Arguably, by saying that the property was as much yours as it is hers, you could even push to say that you had relied on her verbal representation to your "detriment" (investing time, effort and money in the property). This can be a very tricky argument to run but, if successful, you could ask for half of the value of the house.
JeremyT1020 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you very much for making that clear Jeremy
My pleasure. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Kind regards, J