ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have a tribunal for my cild maintenance on thursday. i

Customer Question

i have a tribunal for my cild maintenance on thursday. i dont know where to find where i find the information for what is legal and what is not
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Alton Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: given all facts about earning (undisputable) dates, all of which is fact
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i changed my job in Jan 2019 earning £75k a year to earning £50k... i informed the CMS and they changed my payment. becasue it was in excess of 25% difference. when it was reviewed in oct they reviewed it for the previous financial years so the difference was slightly less than 25%
therefore they told me i needed to continue to pay the higher amount which was £170 p/m OVER what the child maintenance calc made itsurely this is unlawfullit states, contact them when there is a change in circumastances greater than 25%...which i did.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You may be able to check how much you are required to pay based on the below legislative provision and in particular schedule 4

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/6/contents

Or alternatively the below guidance is also helpful,

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/672432/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
therefore they told me i needed to continue to pay the higher amount which was £170 p/m OVER what the child maintenance calc made itsurely this is unlawfullit states, contact them when there is a change in circumastances greater than 25%...which i did.Can you see anything in the links that you have sent to support my objections
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

I note your concern. The links I sent you were in relation to how child maintenance is computed.

It is not unheard of for the CMS to get it wrong. I have seen where this has halo ended on several occasions and by all accounts here it does seem to be the case.