How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 80226
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I recently have been through a domestic violence and assault

Customer Question

Hi, I recently have been through a domestic violence and sexual assault case with my ex partner. The police were contacted and I made a statement but am regretting doing the statement because I don’t want to get him into trouble for some reason?
JA: Have domestic abuse charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Yes and he was in court first thing this morning but haven’t been updated yet.
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Where did what occur?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then.  I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

You could tell them you don’t want to support a prosecution.  However, bear in mind the answer below.

I’m afraid they can be very heavy handed now.  It is not really in the public interest in my view.

They will almost certainly summons you if you are not already.  Their current policy is to summons reluctant witnesses.

If you attend court and resile from your statement they will just put your original statement to you hearsay

The only real option is to stay away although they may try to introduce your statement hearsay but it is weaker then.  But equally they may get a summons and arrest you on a witness warrant.

That said, you may be in luck and they may let you retract.

If there are children in the house, social services will very probably investigate though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.