james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Husband renting out our property without my knowledge

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Who is the legal owner of the property.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
long story cut short. we are both Czech nationalities, getting separated and divorcing . We lived in United Kingdom fo last 20 years and bought the property. We are both owners
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
we are about to sell the property and I have found out he has been renting it out. I dont know how much for but according to neighborous since november last year. so still a pretty good lump sum
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he is claiming a friend is checking on house while we are not in but never heard of this by estate agent.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i have some evidence from neighbours witnesses, photographic / video evidence and mainly utility BILLS that prove someone has ACTUALLY lived in the property

Ok I understand that, somehow can I assist?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the estate agency doesnt wanna hear its their fault also but I feel so let down as agent in question was always on his side. which to me is so very unprofessional.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
well, i am going in circles as in what to do, who to tell, police noone doesnt wanna know
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i am at my witts
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he has been having someone in and getting paid for it without me knowing.

The police will not want to know as it is not a criminal matter.

Yuor husband is owner of the property so can rent it, especially if it is empty.
If you are divorcing, then the easiest way to resolve this would be to claim for half the rent during any financial settlement.
The property is up for sale, so you could ask the solicitors who deal with the sale to draft the sales contract so you both get your share of the rposeeds with you also receiving extra to cover your half of any rental income, that would need his consent of course, but that is also an option.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
yeah I guess that could be an option. So shall I speak to solicitor dealing with sale ?

That would really be the quickest and easiest way to resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
how do I deal with the untrustworthy esate agency ? they knew about it, or at least the estate agent looking after our sale
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i would like to report it, complain whatever it is
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
in the end of the day, they have my keys , ex has his. I dont have them. they are my first point of contact and I pay for servise to be informed. this did not happen
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i am considering to stop the agreement and start all over again with a new one. its not ON!

They were likely simply following instruction form your ex.

Not really anything you can do there

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
shouldnt they be following instruction from myself also ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
or if ex told them about this plan, shouldnt they be telling me ?

Then terminate your agreement with them if they have breached it and go to a new agent.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
what if, let just say, they get financial compensation from ex ? surely thats not good bussines example ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
yeah, thats what i am thinking of doing
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
its very upsetting

What made the agreement with the agent you or him?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
to put trust into someone, pay them and get this
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he was one to go to agency to find out but we both agreed for this particular agency and both signed contract with them

Then they likely assumed it was a joint decision to rent. Speak to them and see what they say.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
of couse he was telling them all the bad stories about me, thats pretty understandable but a proffesional wouldnt wanna know, they certainly shouldnt judge and take sides.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
when i speak to them, they call him and tell him, ask him what to do / say and then call me.....
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
just have no chance
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
its been a nightmare
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
isnt there like an obmudsman service ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the more problem it is i found out from buyers solicitors and they confirmed they have been informed about someone living in the property by estate agent

Then really your complaint  is with your ex, not the agent, they are simply being caught in the crossfire between you.

Speak to the lawyer dealing with the sake and sort it that way.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
yeah sure, i will do.

Good luck.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i wish you could.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
justice does not exist
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks ever so much for trying to help. very much appreciate it

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
have a good night

And you.