How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AkuaK Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1717
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AkuaK is online now

I had a baby 5 weeks ago and i was treated really badly by

Customer Question

Hello, so i had a baby 5 weeks ago and i was treated really badly by the father of the baby through my whole pregnancy ( he called me names and stuff) i only managed to build up the courage to break up with him after my son was born because i could see that him shouting at me was affecting my baby in a really bad way and i was always the one who had to take care of him day and night without his dad helping me. after we broke up i still allowed him to see his son and be with him whenever he wanted but he got him mum and sister involved and they started calling my mum and calling me bad names shouting at my mum telling her that i was cheating on their son/brother and stuff like that even tho i was with my son 24/7 and they started a really bad fight and didn't stop no matter what they kept on sending my mum really bad messages, the babys dad kept on sending me really horrible messages and stuff like that and then he came to see our son and started shouting at me a lot and it scared our son a lot to the point where if he heard any kind of noise he would jump straight away and start crying and i would have to comfort him. his dad never took care of him i had to do everything alone and now he wants to take him away from me for days and nights when the baby is only 5 weeks old and he doesn't have a crib in his house and he is a smoker as well and i was told that a smoker can't share a bed with a baby and plus i don't him to be able to take care of him when im not around because i asked him to feed our son because i bottle feed and he fed him for two minutes and said he was done and i had to properly feed him because he couldn't so i was wondering if i have any rights at all based on that or not?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i tried to fill in papers in family court but didn't get any answers yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: suffolk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that's all
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

Good evening, if you are suffering from domestic violence you can make application for a non molestation order and the father will not be allowed near you and the child.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

It would not be indefinitely if later down the line he wanted contact with the child if there is a safeguarding issue then he would likely be given contact with the child supervised.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

Have you reported the abuse?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no i haven't, i haven't really thought of it as abuse before but it makes sence now. if i reported it with proof would that mean that i would get full custody of my child or not?
Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

It you reported to the police unfortunately it does not guarantee full custody the matter would be investigated but the father may not be deprived of contact going forward.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
does he have a right to take my son away from me to take him to his house if i don't want that based on what he has done?
Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

He has parental responsibility but if the child is danger then would need to be reported.